We want you to be successful. We provide a support structure of faculty, staff and fellow students, so in the Department of Psychology you are not alone.
On this page:
The College of Science and Math (CoSM) provides advising for undergraduates majoring in psychology. If you are thinking about majoring or minoring in psychology you can contact the Psychology Undergraduate Program office and they can help. You can make an appointment to meet with an advisor in the Student Services Office by visiting 106 Oelman Hall, or calling (937) 775-3180.
The goal of academic advising is to provide the undergraduate psychology student with information she or he needs to have a successful and rewarding university experience. The objectives of academic advising are:
- to communicate curriculum requirements and expectations
- to assist a student in tracking progress toward graduation using degree audits
- to assist a student in identifying her or his academic and career goals
- to provide information regarding university resources and solutions to problems
The Advising team can help you with:
- reviewing progress toward graduation
- questions regarding curriculum requirements, course prerequisites, and course selection
- solving problems related to courses and degree audits
- providing information on careers
- preparation for graduate school or professional school .and more!
If you cannot keep a scheduled appointment, please telephone to cancel the appointment so that another student can be scheduled into that time.
Types of Advising
Students are placed on mandatory advising when their cumulative grade point average drops below 2.0. This is a serious action and can result in eventual dismissal from the University if the GPA does not improve. Students who are placed on mandatory advising must seek advising from an advisor (106 Oelman, 937-775-3180) in the College of Science and Mathematics Advising Office before they can register for courses.
If you are interested in a career in medicine, dentistry, law, counseling, or social work, be aware of the current admission and course requirements for these professional schools. Pre-professional advising stays up-to-date on the requirements and can give you a schedule of the coursework that must be completed prior to applying to any medical, dental, or law school in particular. If you have an interest in pursuing one of the following fields, make an appointment to meet with an advisor:
- Pre-Medical and Pre-Health: (937) 775-3180 (106 Oelman Hall)
- Pre-law: (937) 775-3063 (131Q Allyn)
- Counseling: (937) 775-2077 (101 Allyn Hall)
- Professional psychology (Psy.D. degree): (937) 775-3490 (110 Health Sciences)
- Social work: (937) 775-2751 (270 Millett)
Apply for Graduation
To apply for graduation, review your current degree audit to confirm that all requirements have been met or are in progress. Approximately a semester before your intending graduation, visit the CoSM Student Services Office and ask for a graduation check. An advisor will review your degree audit and sign your Permission for Applying for Graduation form. Take it to the Registrar Office in E244 Student Union with your application fee. It is the student's responsibility to apply in time to meet all university deadlines. Visit the RaiderConnect Graduation webpage for most current information of deadlines and fees for applying for graduation.
If you need advising related to the Department of Psychology's Graduate Program please contact: