Academic Advising

Whether you’re an incoming freshman, a senior about to graduate with your college degree, or a new transfer student, your Wright State University academic advisor will help you define and achieve your academic goals. Academic advisors will:

  • Assist with exploring majors
  • Explain degree requirements and planning
  • Direct you to university resources

Centralized advising at Wright State helps you move smoothly into a degree program that fits your interests while pairing you with advisors who understand your potential career path and help you stay on track for graduation.

Academic advisors in the College of Science and Mathematics (CoSM) help students transition to the college by providing program of study information, guiding students well as providing student success programming. We offer one-on-one tailored services for diverse student populations and can assist in answering your questions about the Wright State Core requirements (general education) and university and college requirements.

Academic Advising Staff

Academic Advising is located at 106 Oelman Hall. Our office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

You may call (937) 775-3180 during our business hours to schedule an advising appointment.

Courtney Ann Smith, M.A.

Student Success Services
Assistant Director, UAA
Oelman Hall 106, 3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy, Dayton, OH 45435-0001

Matt Skira, M.Ed.

Student Success Services
Academic Advisor
Oelman Hall 106, 3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy, Dayton, OH 45435-0001

Sarah Cicora, M.S.

Student Success Services
Academic Advisor
Oelman Hall 106, 3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy, Dayton, OH 45435-0001

Laura Marker, M.B.A.

Student Success Services
Academic Advisor
Oelman Hall 106, 3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy, Dayton, OH 45435-0001

Susan L. Brixey

Student Success Services
Administrative Specialist
Oelman Hall 106, 3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy, Dayton, OH 45435-0001

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I find my advisor?

    Log into your WINGS Account

    • Select "Academics" tab
    • Look for "Academic Profile" section in the bottom left-hand corner.
    • Select the desired / most recent term from the drop-down menu.
    • Your advisor(s) will appear.

    Or, Log into your Wings Express Account

    • Select "Registration & Records"
    • Select "View Student Information"
  • How do I change my major?

    Log into your Wings Express account

    • Select "Student and Financial Aid" tab.
    • Then select "Registration and Records".
    • Select "Major/Minor Change Request" located on the right side of page.
    • Review the program requirements by selecting "program requirements".
    • After reviewing requirements select "Continue to Major/Minor Change Request".
    • Review the three (3) options and select the one you desire:
      • change major
      • add major
      • add minor
    • If you want to change your major select "Change Major".
      • Select the major you are applying for.
      • Review requirements if needed.
      • Select to change the major.
    • Steps are the same for each option, add major and add minor
  • What is academic probation?
    • Any student whose gpa (grade point average) drops below 2.0 (Grade average of "C") is placed on Academic Probation.
    • After two consecutive semesters on probation, a student may be dismissed by the Assistant Dean (106 Oelman, (937) 775-3180.
    • Students on probation also must receive in-person permission to register from the College of Science and Mathematics Student Services (106 Oelman)
    • The College of Science and Mathematics Dean's staff seeks to help students on probation make rapid progress so they can return to good standing (gpa greater than 2.0) as soon as possible.
    • If students remain on probation for more than two semesters, the likelihood of dismissal is high.

    To read more about the universtiy policy on academic standing, probation, dismissal and readmission>>

    For more academic services visit the Student Academic Success Center>>

  • What are the requirements to be named to the Dean's List?

    Students who attain high GPAs during a term are placed on the Dean's List. To be named you must have:

    • at least a 3.5 GPA for the term
    • completed at least 12 hours of credit for graded courses in which a letter grade was recieved
    • NOT recieved a grade of F, X, D, I, U, T, M or N

    Categories are:

    • Honors: a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5
    • High Honors: A cumulative GPA of at least 3.7
    • Highest Honor: A cumulative GPA of at least 3.9
  • What is the difference between the Bachelor of Science (BS) and Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree programs in the CoSM?

    As you choose your degree program and elective courses it will be important to keep in mind the requirements of graduate programs or the preferences of employers in the specific areas that interest you. Below are some of the attributes of the Bachelor of Arts and the Bachelor of Science degrees in the College of Science and Mathematics. Both degrees are equivalent academically, but there are notable differences.

    Bachelor of Arts Attributes

    Students pursuing a BA degree have more latitude in their choice of coursework and are required to complete a certain number of credits from outside of the CoSM. This flexibility allows students to supplement their required courses with a wide sampling of other courses to earn an additional credential such as a second major, a minor, or a certificate program.

    BA students planning to apply for graduate school should plan to take more than the minimum math and science courses to satisfy the graduate admissions requiremnts. As you enter the job market, you may consider that career employment is competitive for positions requiring technical and analytical skills, an employer may give higher preference to graduates having more background in math and science.

    Bachelor of Science Attributes

    Students pursuing a BS degree program are typically required to take more technical, math, and science courses. Typically a BS includes more requirements in your major field than a BA degree does. This mean that a student taking a BS degree will have fewer opportunities to explore courses outside of his/her major. However, BS degree programs are excellent preparation for graduate study since many graduate programs require a strong foundation in math and science. 

    Career opportunities in math and science included in BS degree programs usually provide a strong background for employment involving field and laboratory research.

  • What is a degree audit report?

    The degree audit report is a report showing how your WSU courses, transfer courses, and courses in progress apply toward your degree requirements. It can also show you how your credits apply to a different degree program by using the "what if" selection. The report is an unoffical summary of your academic record and is a handy tool to assist you in planning your future coursework. Your degree audit report can help you keep track of your uncompleted requirements and guide you towards graduating at your desired time. Your degree aud report is available to you via Wings Express and should default to your current degree program when you log in. 


  • How to Appeal a Grade?

    Settling Disputes

    When a dispute arises between a faculty member and student over grades or other academic evaluations, the normal procedure is for the student to try to resolve the dispute in the following order:

    1. consult with the faculty member, then, if necessary,
    2. consult with the Departmental Chair, then, if necessary,
    3. consult with the Dean's Office.

    If a dispute cannot be resolved by the normal procedure:

    1. After meeting with the Dean's Office, the student will be given the name of the Chair of the Academic Mediation Committee.
    2. When the student contacts the Committee Chair, the Chair will instruct the student to furnish the following:
      1. a letter stating the complaint;
      2. documentation of the discrepancy (e.g., grade, examination); and
      3. a written statement of the student's desired solution.
    3. When the Committee Chair receives the student's paperwork, he/she will notify the faculty member that the complaint has been brought to the Committee's attention. The faculty member should prepare documentation relevant to the case including, but not limited to, a syllabus for the class and a statement of the faculty member's grading policy. The faculty member's Departmental Chair and the Dean's Office should also comment on and sign this documentation before it is forwarded to the Committee Chair.
    4. Once the Committee Chair has received the student's and faculty member's documentation, he/she will distribute all paperwork to the student, the faculty member, and all committee members.
    5. The Committee will meet, inviting all interested parties (i.e., student, faculty member, Departmental Chair, and Dean), to discuss the case. After discussion, the Committee will meet in executive session to make a recommendation.
    6. Upon the recommendation of the Committee, the Committee Chair will respond, in writing, to the student, with copies distributed to the faculty member, Departmental Chair, Dean, and all Committee members.
    7. If the student does not accept the recommendation of the College Committee, he/she may contact the University Academic Mediation Committee.