We receive opening announcements on a regular basis and many of our majors are or have been employed with area companies such as Air Force Research Laboratories, Berrihill Research Corp, Cornerstone Research, Defense Research Associates, Mound Labs, Photon-X, Prime Control, SET Associates, Spectral Energetics, Spectral Energies. These are just a few companies that hire physics graduates for both careers and internship/co-ops. Here are some websites: Berriehill Research Corp, UES, Cornerstone Research Group, MacB, Woolpert, Riverside Research Institute, Kodak, GE Aviation, Leidos, ...
Students can also carry out research experiences at other universities and they have gone to such places as Cornell, Harvard, and the University of Maryland.
- Wright State Career Services Job Postings
- Wright State Career Services—Search for positions listed by the Career Services site. These are mostly on-campus jobs, but companies and organizations other than Wright State also use this.
- Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Scholars—AFRL Scholars Brochure. Undergraduate and Graduate Scholars programs. One of our former Wright State physics graduates recommended this program and works at Kirtland AFB.
- Southwestern Ohio Council for Higher Education (SOCHE) Student Intern Program
- SOCHE—Places physics, science and engineering students at AFRL and AFIT on WPAFB. Submit your application and they will distribute it. Jobs are not usually listed on the SOCHE site, so we suggest submitting an application. This is typically for students local to the Dayton region.
- CoSM Undergraduate Research and Experiential Learning (UREL)
- Pathways to Science—Use this website to find programs such as undergraduate summer research opportunities, graduate fellowships, as well of other STEM opportunities that physics students would be interested in.
- National Science Foundation's Research Experience for Undergraduates (NSF REU)—NSF funds a large number of research opportunities for undergraduate students through its REU Sites program. An REU Site consists of a group of 10 or so undergraduates who work in the research programs of the host institution. Each student is associated with a specific research project, where he/she works closely with the faculty and other researchers. Students are granted stipends and, in many cases, assistance with housing and travel.
- Department of Energy, Office of Science, Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS)—Several summer and academic year undergraduate internship programs at National Laboratories around the country. There are also some graduate fellowship, teacher, and faculty opportunities.
- Science Education Programs at Oak Ridge National Laboratory—On this site, you will find information about the various scientific educational programs offered at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Whether you are a recent graduate, a graduate student, an undergraduate, a K-12 student or teacher, or a university faculty member, ORNL has a program that will engage you in a scientific learning experience.
- DHS Education Programs—The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Science and Technology Directorate Office of University Programs sponsors a 10-week summer internship program for students majoring in homeland security-related science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (HS-STEM) disciplines. The program provides students with quality research experiences at federal research facilities located across the country and allows students the opportunity to establish connections with DHS professionals. It is open to undergraduate and graduate students in a broad spectrum of HS-STEM Disciplines and DHS mission-relevant Research Areas.
- NRL Summer Research Program for HBCU/MI Undergraduates and Graduates
- APS/IBM Research Internships for Undergraduate Women—The goal of the internship is to encourage undergraduate women to pursue graduate studies in science and engineering. The deadline is February 1.
- APS/IBM Research Internships for Underrepresented Minority Students—The goal is to encourage underrepresented minority students to pursue graduate studies in science and engineering. The deadline is February 1.
- Society of Physics Students Jobs