Academic advisors in the College of Science and Mathematics Office of Student Services (106 Oelman Hall) help students transition to the college by providing program of study information, guiding students to create a connection with their departments and faculty, as well as providing student success programming. We offer one-on-one tailored services for diverse student populations and our college advisors can assist in answering your questions about the Wright State Core requirements (general education), along with university and college requirements. If you are already enrolled in one of our programs you should receive advising directly from your department and you can find contact information for the college departments below.
Make an appointment by visiting the College of Science and Mathematics Office of Student Services (106 Oelman Hall) or calling (937) 775-3180 to take full advangage of this valuable resource.
If you are interesed in pursuing a career in the health professions, the Pre-Health Advising Program provides useful support and advising resources that will prepare you to become a competitive applicant. You can schedule an appointment with a Pre-Health advisor by calling (937) 775-3180.
What is Academic Advising
- Assist the advisee to understand the academic and administrative processes of the university.
- Help the advisee to understand the expected standards of achievement and likelihood of success in certain areas of study.
- Discuss the educational and career objectives suited to the advisee's demonstrated abilities and expressed interests. The advisors help the advisee to understand the relationships among the courses, programs, undergraduate research opportunites, interships, study abroad programs, and other academic and personal development experiences provided by the university.
- Help the advisee plan a course of study and give advice about courses and the adjustment of course loads. The advisor will inform the advisee about the prerequisites for subsequent courses in the advisee's program and evaluate their progress.
- Provide mentorship while familiarizing advisees with appropriate campus resources.
- Acquire the information needed to assume final responsibility for course scheduling, program planning, and the successful completion of all graduation requirements.
- Seek the academic, personal development, and career information needed to develop and meet educational and personal goals.
- Become knowledgeable about the relevant policies, procedures, and rules of the university, college, and academic program.
- Be prepared with accurate information and relevant materials when contacting the advisor.
- Consult with your advisor at least once per semester to decide on courses, review the accuracy of the degree audit, check progress towards graduation, and discuss the suitability of other educational opportunities provided by the university.
- Take personal responsibility for his or her own actions and behavior.
Students transferring from one institution to another often experience transfer shock, represented by a decrease in grades and other undesireable experience resulting from a major academic change. We are here to help you with your transition to ensure it is a smooth one. Make an appointment by visiting the College of Science and Mathematics Office of Student Services (106 Oelman Hall) or calling (937) 775-3180.
Additional information is located on our admissions page.
Student Services Staff
Student Services is located at 106 Oelman Hall. Our office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
You may call (937) 775-3180 during our business hours to schedule an advising appointment.
CoSM Department Advising Contacts
|Biological Sciences||235 Bio Sci Building||(937) 775-4226|
|Clinical Lab Sciences||235 Bio Sci Building||(937) 775-4226|
|Earth & Environmental Sciences||260 Brehm Lab||(937) 775-2201|
|Chemistry||202 Oelman Hall||(937) 775-2855|
|Mathematics & Statistics||120 Math & Micro Building||(937) 775-2785|
|Psychology||335 Fawcett Hall||(937) 775-4155|
|Physics||248 Fawcett Hall||(937) 775-2955|
|COSM Undeclared & Transfer Students||106 Oelman Hall||(937) 775-3180|