Department of Biological Sciences

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I register for my courses?

    A list of helpful tutorials for students, including how to register, can be found in the WINGS Resource Center

  • Do I need advisor approval to register?

    Undergraduate students admitted into the Department of Biological Sciences do not need advisor approval to register unless they are registering for a course restricted with departmental approval (e.g., BIO 3990). Students wanting to register for courses with “instructor’s approval” (e.g., BIO 4880, 4990) must get an approval from the instructor, not the advisor.

    Undergraduate students with a GPA <2.00 are considered on academic probation and must get advisor approval from the College of Science & Math office. Students must contact Dr. Ivory Berry or Dr. Mike O'Neal in 106 Oelman (775-3180).

    Graduate students need advisor approval before registering. Graduate students must see Laura Buerschen, graduate advisor, in 235 Biological Sciences for approval.

  • How do I know when I am allowed to register each semester?

    Registration priority is determined first by student level, then by the number of semester hours a student has earned (this will include any transfer credit that has been awarded). Students can visit the RaiderConnect website to view the Academic Calendar to find information on when to register for classes along with other important dates.

  • Do I have to see an advisor?

    Undergraduate students are only required to see an advisor the semester before they apply for graduation. However, each program we offer has specific requirements. Some of the required courses are only offered once a year and have prerequisite courses that must be taken in sequence. It is imperative that you are aware of these requirements. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor regularly to ensure degree requirements are being met.

  • Can you have an advisor check every one of your classes each semester of your freshman and sophomore year, to see if they work?

    Advisors are available to meet with students (every semester, if necessary) to recommend certain courses, the number of credit hours to take each semester and/or to develop a plan of study to graduation. However, students are responsible for looking up class times, checking on class conflicts, and selecting course sections and professors.

  • How do I schedule an appointment to see an advisor?

    You can call the Biology Office at (937) 775-2655 or stop by 235 Biological Sciences

  • What undergraduate degree options are available in Biological Sciences?
  • Is there an accelerated Bio Program?

    No, but students can complete degree requirements sooner by taking summer courses and registering for more credit hours each term.

  • How do I use degree audit reports?
  • What career do most people who graduate with a degree in Biology end up pursuing?

    Most students go on to graduate or professional school. Others will take jobs as research technicians/research assistants in a variety of different research settings.

  • What’s the average time it takes students to get a baccalaureate degree? Do most people go over the expected four years?

    Within 4 years (60%); 5-8 years (36%); > 8 years (4%)

  • What is the biggest area of interest in the department of Biology?
    • Pre-professional (46%)
    • Ecology/Environmental (17%)
    • General Bio (21%)
    • Organismal (13%)
    • Cell/Molecular (4%)
  • What types of clubs would I need to be involved in to help me get into graduate school?

    Clubs are not required, only recommended as an “extracurricular activity”. Most professional schools will want to see applicants participating in extracurricular activities outside of their schoolwork. Biology Club, Pre-Med club, Pre-Vet club, etc. are choices within our department. Graduate research programs don’t necessarily need to see “club” participation (it won’t hurt though!), however, conducting independent research as an undergraduate student is a huge advantage. BIO 499, BIO 490, BIO 495 are all courses students may qualify for to give them this experience.

  • Can you recommend a few campus organizations or volunteer areas that tend to look best on a resume?

    It really depends on what you want to do with your career.

  • Does Wright State have paid research positions for undergrads?

    Sometimes faculty will pay for a student research assistant out of their grant money. These positions are usually posted outside their labs and in career services.

  • Where can I get information regarding internships, which deal with Biological Science? What are the prerequisites for a student internship?

    Internship packets can be picked up in the advising center (235 Biological Sciences). Everything you need to know about the requirements is in the packet. You can visit Career Services in the Student Union for assistance in finding an internship.

  • Does the internship have to be volunteer work, or will it still count even if I am paid?

    It depends on who is in charge of your internship. For the Biology Internship (BIO 4900) it does not matter whether it is volunteer work or if the student is paid. The internship is approved on the basis of what the student will be doing during his/her work hours (e.g., what types of techniques, what area of science, etc.

    For more information, see the Internship Program Packet (PDF) or contact the Biology Department at (937) 775-4226 or visit us at 235 Biological Sciences.

  • If I drop a course, will it still appear on my transcripts?

    In order to drop a course without a grade, you must do so by the end of the fourth week of the fourteen-week term. To drop a course and receive a 'W' you must do so by the end of the ninth week of each fourteen-week term. Specific drop dates for each term are listed in the Academic Calendar so please pay attention to them.